- Founder of Change Dyslexia (www.changedyslexia.org), a social organization to screen and treat dyslexia using Dytective, a research based platform for dyslexia.
- Systems Scientist (Research Associate). Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA.
- firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- C.V. — Google Scholar
- Research Interests: eHealth, Dyslexia, Linguistics, Human-Computer Interaction, Web Accessibility, Natural Language Processing, Education, Mobile for Good.
Change Dyslexia integrates in Dytective our reseach results to overcome the three barriers of dyslexia worldwide: the fact that dyslexia is a “hidden disorder” and it is under-diagnosed, most people do not know that they have dyslexia; the reading and writing difficulties derived from dyslexia; and socioeconomic barriers.
Dytective is a social and scientific tool that includes,
- Dytective Test: free screening of dyslexia in Spanish.
- DytectiveU: a radically cheaper treatment by play with 40.000 personalized exercises.
- Scholarships for DytectiveU.
Our social impact:
- 140.000 children in 55 countries used Dytective Test for free.
- Over 250 children in 15 schools received scholarships by Change Dyslexia.
- Cartier Women Initiative Award(3 minutes summary of our research, in English)
- Fundación Aquae (14 summary of Change Dyslexia in Spanish)
- El País Video on Dytective (9 millions of views)
- Dytective’s Spot (2.3 millions of views) (Bronze Lion at Cannes, 2017)
- VodafoneOne Interview (98,000 views)
- TEDxMadrid talk: New Solutions for Dyslexia (43,500 views)
- CNN in Spanish - Channel for USA and South America, 2016
- TVE LA 2 - Second National Spanish TV channel, 2018
- EmolTV - El Mercurio’s TV channel, main newspaper in Chile, 2017
- Espejo Público - Most watched Spanish TV show at morning time, 2017
- La Sexta Noche - Most watched Spanish TV show at night time, 2016
- TVE LA 2 - Second National Spanish TV channel - A punto con La 2, 2016
- JotDown (Spain) - 2018. Interview to Luz Rello
- El Confidencial - Cómo detectar y combatir la dislexia jugando (2018)
- Forbes (Spain) - Change Dyslexia selected for Four startups revolutionizing eHealth, 2018.
- Newsweek (US Edition) - Luz Rello, nominated as one of the 20 women of the future by Ana Bot ́ın, 2018
- SICN (English) - Women, young, Spanish and technology leaders, 2018
- El Pais Semanal - El Pais’s Sunday magazine, most read in Spain, 2017
- El Espectador (Spanish) - Oldest newspaper in Colombia, 2017
- PAPEL - (El Mundo’s Sunday magazine) El ‘Candy Crush’ de dislexia, 2017
- El Mundo - Spanish newspaper, 2017
- El País - Main Spanish newspaper, Article, 2015-16
- Scientific American (Spanish) - 2014
- The Next Web TNW (English) - 2013
Selected Honours and Awards
- Finalist for the Cartier Women’ s Initiative Awards. 2018
- Forbes 30 Under 30 List by Forbes Spain Magazine, 2017.
- Princess of Girona Award, Social category by Princess of Girona Foundation, given to one individual per year by the Spanish Royal Family 2016.
- New Researcher Award by the International Dyslexia Association, 2016.
- Social Entrepreneurship Grant by Obra Social “La Caixa” Foundation, 2016.
- Semi-finalist at the International Competition de United Arab Emirates Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Award for Good (7th position among 664 entries) for the algorithm of Dytective Test, 2016.
- Best Demo Award for the app Dytective in ACM ASSETS (top conference of computers and accessibility), 2015.
- Ashoka Fellow, 2014.
- MIT Technology Review Top Innovators Under 35, Spanish edition, 2014.
- Social Innovator of the Year by MIT Technology Review, Spanish edition, 2014.
- First prize of the Vodafone Foundation Mobile for Good Europe Awards (Education Category, 200 entries) for the application Dyseggxia (preliminary version of DytectiveU), 2013.
- European Young Researchers’ Award by the EuroScience Foundation to one individual per year, 2013.
- Bank Santander Premium Scholar. Ibero-american Scholarship for Young Researchers, 2012.
- Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship for Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2011.
- Third National Prize for Academic Excellence (best national performance in B.A. Linguistics) awarded by the Spanish Ministry of Education, 2008.
I am co-author of one filed patent, one book in Spanish (two editions), 9 indexed journal papers, 34 conference papers, two book chapters, and co-author of 46 other publications. According to Google Scholar there are approximately 1,000 citations to my work with an h-index of 18. See my Google Scholar profile in https://goo.gl/gmgEDe.
Currently, I am working on a book on dyslexia and the research behind our tools, to be published in 2th October 2018 by Planeta Group (Paidós Educación), the main publisher company in Spain and Hispanic America.